Renewing Your Green Card

If you have already gone through applying for a U.S. green card, you may not be aware that your green card could be expiring soon. Most green cards are valid for ten years, so the expiry date of your permanent resident card can sneak up on you if you’re not careful. Even if you have a conditional, 2-year green card, this will need to be converted into a ten-year green card and eventually need to be renewed.

You may be wondering how to renew your green card or how to fill out the renewal green card form. This article will cover the essential information regarding the renewal of green cards and renewal green card processing times.

Renewal Green Card Application

“How to renew my green card?” is a common question that many immigration lawyers and firms will get asked. The best idea is to renew your green card before it expires. According to U.S. law, you are required to carry a valid green card at all times. If you do not hold a valid green card, you could run into trouble with local authorities, especially when you are trying to secure employment or trying to reenter the United States after going somewhere abroad.

Renewing your green card after ten years should be done if your card is about to expire in the next six months. If you try for a renewal green card before this, your application to renew could be rejected. You could also potentially qualify for U.S. citizenship at this point. However, if you do not want to apply for U.S. citizenship, you can keep reading to learn more about the renewal green card process.

Renewal Green Card Process

If you are located within the United States when the expiry for your green card is coming up, the process is relatively straightforward. First, you will need to fill out and file Form I-90 with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The filing fee for Form I-90 is $455 and $85 if you need your biometrics taken. Once this has been filed, USCIS will generally decide on your application within seven to eleven months.

If you are not in the U.S. and your card expires in the next six months, and you cannot return to the U.S. before it expires, you will need to contact your nearest U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or U.S. port of entry before attempting to file Form I-90.

Even individuals that are experienced with U.S. immigration law can make mistakes. U.S. immigration law is constantly evolving, and you don’t want to waste time and money by incorrectly filing your applications.

At Leiva Law Firm, you can rest assured that we always put our clients’ needs at the center of what we do. This allows us to provide immigration services and advice that makes our clients feel informed and confident about their decisions. Contact us today if you are considering renewing your green card soon!