Citizenship & Naturalization


Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is conferred upon a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). All naturalization applicants must demonstrate good moral character, attachment, and favorable disposition. The other naturalization requirements may be modified or waived for certain applicants, such as spouses of U.S. citizens.

The laws regarding naturalization constantly change, and as such it is important to work with an attorney who stays abreast of these changes. An attorney can answer your questions about whether you may qualify in terms of residency requirements and can also address any other concerns, such as qualifications of good moral character, an attachment to the principles in the U.S. Constitution and basic English skills and knowledge of the U.S. government and history. There are some factors that may disqualify a person from qualifying for naturalization, such as desertion from the U.S. military, so it will also be important to get information about these if you are interested in applying.


  • The foreign national has been a permanent resident for 5 years and at least half of the 5-year period was spent physically in the United States.
  • The foreign national has been a permanent resident for 3 years and is married to a U.S. citizen.
  • Foreign national serves in the U.S. Military.

Note: Call us for information on exceptions, special cases, and waivers to the 5-year rule.


  • A period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States
  • Residence in a particular USCIS District prior to filing
  • An ability to read, write, and speak English
  • Knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government
  • Good moral character
  • Attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution
  • Favorable disposition toward the United States


Our office can assist you with obtaining Certificates of Citizenship for your adopted child, whether the adoption took place overseas or here in the United States. This is an important document that you should not delay in attaining for your son or daughter as with the passage of time, documents necessary to obtain the Certificate of Citizenship may be misplaced or lost. Contact our office for a case evaluation if you would like assistance in the process of applying for your child’s Certificate of Citizenship.

Hablamos español

Our office is online focused.

Request an immigration consultation